If you type a web or email address in a Word document, Word converts it to a hyperlink automatically (making it blue and underlined in the process). Some people like hyperlinks but don't want them to turn blue and/or underlined. The way hyperlinks look in Word is controlled by two styles - Hyperlink and FollowedHyperlink. Hyperlink controls how it looks before the link is clicked; and FollowedHyperlink controls how they look after they've been clicked. I know it seems strange that there are different styles for before and after, but that's how it works. Follow these steps to change the styles.
1. Open your styles pane (Alt+Ctrl+Shift+S).
2. At the bottom, left-hand corner of the styles pane that opens, check the box that says Show Preview.
3. At the bottom, right-hand corner of the styles pane, click Options… make your dialog look like Figure 1 below (All styles, Alphabetical, clear all checkboxes) click the OK button.
4. Now locate and right-click the Hyperlink style Modify Format button (bottom) click Font from the menu that appears. ONLY do the following: Change the font color to black and the Underline style to (none) click the OK button. If you only want this formatting change to be in the document you're editing, just click the OK button at the bottom of the next dialog. If you would like the formatting change to be in the document you're editing and all future documents you create, then at the bottom of the next dialog, tick the New documents based on this template radio button and THEN click the OK button at the bottom.
NOTE: If you don't want to remove the underline but just want to change the color of hyperlinks from blue to black, simply leave the Underline style alone.
5. Now repeat the foregoing step except right click and modify the FollowedHyperlink style and make the same changes as in step 4.
6. If you want to make the style changes
1. Click the File menu Options (left side) Proofing (left side) AutoCorrect Options button (right side of screen).
2. In the subsequent dialog, click on the tab title AutoFormat As You Type clear the checkbox for Internet and network paths with hyperlinks don't click OK because you're not done yet. See the next step.
3. Now click on the AutoFormat tab (different from the AutoFormat As You Type tab) clear the box for Internet and network paths with hyperlinks click the OK button at the bottom click the next OK button at the bottom.
Remove a Hyperlink Word Already Converted: If you want to remove a hyperlink that Word already inserted (but leave the text), simply right-click the hyperlink click Remove Hyperlink from the dialog that appears.